Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Your Bra Is Showing

Why thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Yesterday Elizabeth told me about an especially sexy waitress she had at a New York Restaurant. Her hair was tousled and pinned back, her lipstick just a tad smudged. She wore a loose navy cardigan that was just sheer enough to subtly reveal the bra beneath it. Maybe the look was unwitting, but I doubt it. Still, since hearing about this image, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. The demure cardigan, the hint of sex. It's positively flushing.

So of course I've set out to find the look. It's hard to find a cardigan that isn't form-fitting necessarily, but certainly not frumpy. Something just conservative enough, but tiny. Sheer from wear. Something with microscopic, pearly buttons. My favorite part of this hunt has been imagining what bra I would wear underneath it. I can picture that navy blue cardigan with a bright pink number or a vintage maroon sweater with a muted purple to go under. And the bra would have to be understated itself. Preferably a demi with an underwire, but no push-up or shaped cup to impose anything obviously alluring. That's where Stella McCartney's lingerie comes in. Something like this:

Stella McCartney's lingerie perfectly captures that barely there look, simultaneously innocent and provocative. And she definitely delivers on the one thing I ask of my underwear, which is to feel so good on that I don't want to wear anything over it.

You can buy Stella McCartney at Net-A-Porter.

No comments: